AGM 2009


Friends of St Mary's Church, Cricklade, Wiltshire, U.K.


Chairman: Hugh Dudley, 4 Pleydells, Cricklade, SWINDON, SN6 6NG

Secretary: Gerry Dudley, 4 Pleydells, Cricklade, SWINDON, SN6 6NG

Treasurer: Tony Barratt, 13 Boundary Close, Stratton, SWINDON, SN2 7TF


Virtual Tour
Membership Form
About Friends
Our Achievements
Church History
Church Development
Catholic Furnishings
Parish Map
In The Press
Site Map

Annual General Meeting


The Friends of St Mary's Church, Cricklade

Held on Tuesday 10th November 2009 at Brook House, Cricklade


Fr Philip Beisly; Eddie Condon; Peter Baister; Tony Barrett; Edmund Lee; Louise Aitken; Seymour Aitken, Tricia Snape, Gerry Hoburn; Gerry Dudley

Apologies:       David and Ray Tetlow; Anne Wykeham-Martin, Bernadette Yarnold, Claire and Steve Mills. .

Minutes of Previous meeting were accepted as accurate.

Chairman’s Report: 

An active year of building and alterations and also long periods of waiting.  

Church Building

Pulpit – The pulpit has been moved and is currently positioned to the left of the new confessional screen.  This has opened up the Norman arch enabling the congregation a full view of the altar.

Font – The font has been re-positioned into its own raised, dedicated area.

New Kitchen – A beautiful new kitchen has been installed within the tower although we still await connection to water and waste.

The connection by Thames Water has proved a long and tortuous escapade.  At one stage we did look at the possibility of connecting to our neighbour’s supply, this was not possible the Architect is now arranging for the payment of connection to be sent to TW asking them to fast track the work.

The Children’s Area – A new children’s area has been created at the back of the church that is proving beneficial to the rest of the congregation. 

Re-positioning of pews – Pews have been moved from the back of the church and re-positioned at the front in the old pulpit area and also in the previous organ position.  This has created more space around the entrance area.

Re-positioning of the new organ – The organ has been moved to the back of the church near the tower and with the choir at the side this has made a tremendous improvement to the acoustics.

Disabled Toilet and temporary building – A meeting has taken place in the grounds of the church with the “Young Mums” and other interested parties to discuss the location of a proposed temporary building for the use of the children and also the location of a proposed disabled toilet.  Drawings were shown at the time and they have now been put forward for formal planning approval to the relevant Authorities.

Church Grounds

The hard work of all our gardeners was again rewarded this year with a Merit Award from the “ Britain in Bloom” competition.  The certificate was presented at the Coffee Morning in Brook House on 17 October 2009.  

Fund Raising

As mentioned last year we did not carry out any major fund raising activities sticking to our old favourites of the Church Open Day and our Coffee Morning at Brook House.  Thanks once again to Louise and Seymour for allowing us to use their beautiful home.  A Christmas cake made by Tony Barrett and beautifully decorated by Pat Charlton was raffled twice – why you may ask? The first winner could not take it to America , however, two raffles makes more money!  We did not take part in the Cricklade Show because of the lack of volunteers nor did we take part in the Cycle Ride this year.

The drawing by David Hoad has now been framed and is ready to be raffled.  A quantity of notelets has been produced and these were first on sale at the Coffee Morning and are available from our Secretary, Gerry and also on sale at the back of the Church.  Our major activity for 2010 will be “Swing in the Garden” but more of this later.

Parish Activity

St Mary’s RC Church was re-dedicated in 1984 so to celebrate the Silver Jubilee a Parish Breakfast was held after Mass in early October.  It was held in Thames Hall and was thoroughly enjoyed by all who attended including a large number of children.

The year has been active but would not have been so without the help of all “The Friends” but we should especially thank our Secretary, Gerry for her unstinting help in all sorts of ways throughout the year and also Tony Barrett our Treasurer for keeping our accounts in order.   My sincere thanks go to them both.

On behalf of “The Friends” I thank Louise and Seymour for the use of Brook House throughout the year. It is greatly appreciated. 

As I look forward to a fifth year as Chairman I thank everybody for their help and support.

Treasurer’s Report: Copy attached. Tony apologised for the year-end confusion.  The matter has now been rectified and should hold no further problems. The accounts were accepted.  Proposed: Tricia Snape, Seconded: Edmund Lee

Membership: GD reported that 2009 paid up membership totalled 42.  So far, membership for 2010 stands at 18.  Those present who have not yet paid were reminded that membership is now due.

Election of Officers:  Present serving officers agreed to serve a further year.

E Condon –Chairman

A Barrett - Treasurer

G Dudley – Secretary

GD suggested that it might be useful to try to increase our committee membership with younger members of the congregation/community, bringing new blood into the fold.  Eddie Condon asked Gerry Hoburn if he could spare the time to join our group and he said he would “think about it”.

Fundraising:  At last year’s AGM it was decided that no major fundraising event would be organised, but the smaller events would be repeated.  Therefore the Refreshments during Cricklade Festival and Coffee Morning went ahead, jointly raising approximately £500.  Due to lack of volunteers, the table at Cricklade Show was cancelled this year, and it was thought that perhaps a break in this event would be advisable for a while, since it was not actually a fundraiser, but more a way of raising St Mary’s profile in the community.

In June 2010, Tricia and Gerry will organise a similar event to last year’s Proms in the Garden, but with a “Swing” theme.  Tricia has booked a swing band with a singer, and it is hoped that a few other performers will be found to make the evening worthwhile and as enjoyable at The Proms.

Price and number of tickets to be discussed at future meeting.

At this juncture Eddie Condon, on behalf of The Friends, thanked Seymour and Louise Aitken for their continuing support and generosity in allowing us to hold our various functions in their home and garden.

There was no participation in the Great Cycle Ride this year, due to Peter Baister’s hospitalisation and recuperation.  No volunteer came forward to take this task on.

Next Year’s meetings:          

Tuesday January 12th 2010 at 7.00 in St Mary’s

Tuesday March 9th                              

Tuesday June 15th                                

Tuesday September 14th                        

AGM 9th November after 7.00 Mass for Deceased Friends.


Planning Permission objections:  Eddie reported that objections to the plans for a temporary building and disabled loo in the churchyard by town planners,EC agreed to discuss this with Councillor Peter Colmer and arrange a meeting with the planning committee, GD volunteered to join the meeting when arranged. EC has had several discussions with Peter Colmer, John Coole (Assistant Town Clerk) has also attended Planning meeting. We now await their deliberations

Eddie Condon raised the issue of decorating the church.  It is the next major project after our internal and external changes are complete.  It was suggested that an approximate cost for this should be obtained before coming to a conclusion.

Eddie also mentioned the possibility of The Friends paying for the cost of the newly installed kitchen and disabled toilet.  It was then decided to postpone discussion until the next Committee meeting in January 2010.

Peter Baister raised the issue of applying for a grant from The Waylands Trust.  Applications are usually accepted in May.  It was agreed to discuss this further at the next Committee meeting.

Edmund Lee volunteered to update the guide book with help re photographs etc.  It was felt that a better quality booklet could be sold for more than the £1 charged for the current version.

Louise Aitken commented on the excellent quality of the newsletters, both in layout and content.

Fr Philip raised the matter of opening the church during the week.  It was agreed to discuss this at the next committee meeting.

Tricia Snape asked if the Swing Band leader, Mr Bob Jones, would be allowed to look around the garden at Brook House to plan the layout for this event.  Seymour and Louise agreed to this.

The meeting ended at 20:40 with thanks to Louise and Seymour for the use of their dining room.