Church Handed Over


Friends of St Mary's Church, Cricklade, Wiltshire, U.K.


Chairman: Hugh Dudley, 4 Pleydells, Cricklade, SWINDON, SN6 6NG

Secretary: Gerry Dudley, 4 Pleydells, Cricklade, SWINDON, SN6 6NG

Treasurer: Tony Barratt, 13 Boundary Close, Stratton, SWINDON, SN2 7TF


Virtual Tour
Membership Form
About Friends
Our Achievements
Church History
Church Development
Catholic Furnishings
Parish Map
In The Press
Site Map

Back Up Next



1 Oct 1983 (Source Unknown)



Ancient church


handed over


at unity visit




The bells of Bristol's ancient Anglican cathedral rang out a Surprise major peal of welcome last Saturday for Archbishop Maziers of Bordeaux and his party of three priests, a nun, a Bordeaux Protestant minister and a lay woman.

   The bell ringers had come from Devon, Dorset and the Isle of Wight. The party had been invited by Anglican Bishop Tinsley of Bristol, to this third exchange visit between the two dioceses, which began when a party from Bordeaux attended Bishop Tinsley's enthronement in 1976.

   The four-day visit included three discussions between the two bishops and their parties on the Eucharist, the Ministry and Authority on the basis of the ARCIC Final Report.

   During the service of welcome in Bristol Cathedral, the sermon was preached by Anglican Bishop Temple of Malmesbury.

   He and Bishop Tinsley, Bishop Alexander of Clifton, the Bristol Free

Archbishop Maziers

Church president, the Rev Ian Lunn, Archbishop Maziers and the congregation exchanged the Kiss of Peace.

   Bishop Tinsley presented a Bible to Archbishop Maziers. Choirs of Bristol and Clifton cathedrals combined to sing choral music.

   After lunch the episcopal party went to the village of Cricklade, where the key of the ancient Anglican parish church of St Mary was handed to Fr Eamon McGlinchey, parish priests of Fairford.

   The Catholic church in Cricklade is served from Fairford. It is a former Baptist chapel, now dedicated to St Augustine.

   St Mary's was built by the Normans in 1120. Its oak beams, tower, side chapels, and main fabric have been well preserved.

   The Rev Kenneth Withington, Vicar of St Sampson's at the other end of the High Street said: "Everyone in Cricklade is delighted that the Catholics have taken over St Mary's."

   Until 1953 St Mary's had been a joint parish church with St Sampson's. It was later declared redundant. It is being leased for 999 years at a peppercorn rent.


Back Up Next