Tudor Windows

 

Friends of St Mary's Church, Cricklade, Wiltshire, U.K.

 

Chairman: Hugh Dudley, 4 Pleydells, Cricklade, SWINDON, SN6 6NG

Secretary: Gerry Dudley, 4 Pleydells, Cricklade, SWINDON, SN6 6NG

Treasurer: Tony Barratt, 13 Boundary Close, Stratton, SWINDON, SN2 7TF

 

Home
Virtual Tour
Membership Form
About Friends
Constitution
Our Achievements
Newsletters
AGM
Church History
Church Development
Catholic Furnishings
Parish Map
In The Press
Incumbents
Photos
Postcards
Paintings
Churchyard
Registers
Site Map

Back Up Next

 

 

The Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard 20 Jun 1908

 

ST. MARY'S CHURCH - A much needed work of restoration has just been completed at this ancient and interesting church. The Tudor dormer windows, removed in 1862, have been replaced, and good clear glass in well leaded panes with casements to open have been put in all the other windows. The cost of the work, about 80 has been fully met by the subscriptions and offerings of the parishioners and friends, who have given the Rector and Churchwardens most earnest and loyal support. The work was designed by Mr. Pontlng, the diocesan architect, and carried out by Messrs. G. B. Lansdown and T. L. Franklin, of Cricklade. A short but fully choral service was held on Wednesday, June 17th, at 3.30 p.m. The address, on the appropriate subject of Light, was given by the Rev. Canon Estcourt (Rural Dean), who then formally dedicated the window. In addition to the Rector, the Rev. Sydney Denton, the following clergy were present: Rev. W. Butt, vicar of Kempsford ; Rev. M. J. T. Milling, vicar of Ashton Keynes ; Rev. Angus Macdonald, vicar of South Marston ; and Rev. J. W. Wernlnck, rector of Great Bamfylde. The Rev. H. J. Morton, vicar of St. Sampson's, Cricklade, was unavoidably absent. To mark the event, Mr. Baker, wife of the churchwarden, entertained the choir and frlends to tea at the Town HaII.

 

Back Up Next